I promised that I would come back to Blueberry soup and Cinnamon buns. In the information about the event both Blueberry soup and Cinnamon buns were mentioned; I thought the latter sounded great – the Blueberry soup, not so much, since I don’t like blueberries and soups are generally savoury. Reality, however is that Blueberry soup is a complete revelation! It’s lovely!!
The cinnamon buns on the other hand, were a complete disappointment, partly due to my own stupidity. Each stop had bananas, bread rolls and gherkins laid out. And most had blueberry soup as an option with the drinks. Ollie had many a gherkin sandwich, but I mainly had my own food, supplemented with a blueberry soup every now and then. However at every single stop, I looked for cinnamon buns, and never found any. It wasn’t until the penultimate, or possibly even the last stop that I realised the bread rolls were the cinnamon buns, and that they were quite nice dipped in the blueberry soup!!! Even so, they were very subtly cinnamony and still a disappointment.
I learnt several lessons from the Vatternrundan experience…
- Jelly babies are evil.
- Ollie is allergic to Sweden (I don’t think he’d appreciate me sharing the photo of his swollen face).
- The Swedish are amazing at languages and I am quite ignorant.
- If rain is forecast, it will probably rain, and thus waterproof shorts are a must.
- I’m more determined and competitive than I thought!
- Don’t let two hungry cyclists loose on a supermarket